Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Favorite Movies

Do you have favorite movies that you know others are going to read your list and they will say one of several things, stuff like "Are you kidding?" or "You liked that?" or "That movie stunk!" Yes, the critics who either feel that no one can understand movies like they do or that movies have to be brilliantly made and technically superb or some such upper echelon type of critique. Notice I said favorite movies not "best" movies because they can and often are separate.

I bring this up because last we watched 50 First dates with Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore. A great flick? No, but for some reason keepers and I love that movie and I think it is because being in love with multiples is a different kind of love in that it requires more deliberate actions than a "normal" relationship requires. This last comment is bull! Any relationship needs special actions and cares taken, not just ones with a multiple. Maybe falling in love with a multiple made me more aware of what I should be doing no matter who the relationship was with.

Another of our favorite flicks, Secondhand Lions with Rober Duvall and Michael Caine. Critics hate it, say they aren't even close to being brothers in looks or anything, etc etc bla bla bla. Who cares??? We love the movie! HJ Osment as the kid is cool but the two brothers and their antics are a riot. Maybe keepers and I have a weird sense of humor compared to the rest of the people out there.

How about Pirates of the Caribbean? It's a movie based on a video game or a ride at an amusement park or something! Who cares? Johnny Depp is a hoot in this movie.

Here's another one we like, Homer & Eddie with Whoopi and Jim Belushi. Whoopi is dying and meets up with Jimbo who plays a man who was struck in the head by a line drive in a baseball game as a kid and was brain damaged forever after. Jim Belushi gives a wonderful performance and Whoopi is Whoopi, we love her in most things she does.

That brings us to two other favorites, One being The Color Purple, a simply fantastic movie, though a wee bit depressing at times, but it really conveys a time and a region so well and everyone acts wonderfully. The other one is not a movie but a concert by Whoopi, a one woman concert where she portrays different people from a valley girl to a Jamaican housekeeper to a junkie visiting Anne Franks home. Poignant, touching and a great presentation of what Whoopi is capable of.

Paint Your Wagon, Lee Marvin cannot sing, neither could Jean Seberg, Eastwood can to a degree and yet we love this movie and the soundtrack. Most critics hated it. Oh well!

Funny Girl with Barbra Streisand and Omar Sharif, all for sentimental reasons for keepers and I.
Not that the music is anything to sneeze at!!

The Quiet Man, Big Duke Wayne and Maureen O'Hara, I cannot tell you how many times we have watched this movie. Keepers being of Irish descent has a special place for this movie in their hearts.

Bambi by Walt Disney, Bambi, Thumper and Flower all the littles love them. How can you not?

So there you have a short list of some of our favorite movies that for the most part, critics didn't like, major exception being The Color Purple.

Maybe in a few weeks I'll put up a list of my favorites and then one from keepers perspective, until then the balcony is closed.

john michael

6 comments:

jumpinginpuddles said...

well my favourite movie is Carrie and then its the Fire Starter then its Pet Cemetary, lol all stephen king movies.
Then after that the godfather movies,
then it would have to be the day after tomorrow :D

Felecia

imo said...

oh a big Stephen King fan, eh? yeah i like the Godfather alos, keepers don't like it though. We both like Day After Tomorrow though. thanks for writing and have a great day!!

peace and blessings

john michael and keepers

Tracy said...

I loved Second Hand Lions! In fact I loved it so much I had to own it. It was a great movie that the whole family could watch and not worry if language, gore, or sex would have to be sensored.

Sweet home Alabama is another of my favs. I love funny romantic movies.

I think my all time favorite though is Lord of the Rings. It took me awhile to watch them, mainly because they were so violent, but it had a wonderful message.

imo said...

Hi mysti

We had to buy Secondhand Lions also, keepers and I both just love it! I forgot to have Murphy's Romance with james Garner and Sally field on our list also. Have you seen it? OOPs and one more, The Notebook, not a comedy by any means but....

Tracy said...

I loved the Notebook, as well as Murphy's Romance. The Notebook made me cry. LOL Hubby and I just went to the movies tonight and saw Stepup. It was actually a rather good movie. It had a great message. I also really enjoyed all the dancing. Then again I watch all the dancing movies also. Anything that is uplifting is my kinda movie.

imo said...

Did you like Chicago? I love the songs and music in it, sometimes I put in the movie just to listen to the music while I'm on the computer. Or Grease, West Side Story, also a favorite of keepers and me!!