Sunday, August 27, 2006

Too Much

Late this afternoon we went to a small birthday party for our oldest granddaughter at our daughters house. There were 7 adults and 2 children. Now litle Sammi was celebrating her 2nd birthday or should I say her mom and dad and the rest of us were. Because little Sammi has no idea what is going on. She doesn't know what a birthday party is or why it is. She likes Dora the Explorer so that was the theme of the party, to the extreme.

Our daughter had decorations in the kitchen and living room, all of the plates were Dora, streamers, etc and I bet little Sammi had no idea as to the relevance or really cared. There was enles spicture taking and video taking because she had no idea it was her birthday and some day she will look and see the pics and video and maybe, just maybe remember one toy or special item she received.

She won't remember the other 49 gifts or even care. To say that way too many presents were bought would be an understatement. In my opinion for a 2 uear old it was utterly wasteful. In my opinion for any child it was wasteful and overdone. How anyone can think a 2 year can appreciate all that she received? At 2 years old you're not even into opening gifts yet, much less 50 of them!

Even if I was very very well off I can honestly say I would not do that. There is no reason to buy one child 50 gifts!!!! If they are 2 or 10 or 17 that is ridiculous. Especially when the child needs socks and shoes which can be Dora if need be. And what dare I ask is the sense in buying a two year old little girl a basketball hoop set, yes it is for little children but I really doubt that a two year old girl will play with it as much as her father will.

I don't get it. Too much is too much and in my opinion that is way too much.

Til tomorrow!!

john michael

4 comments:

Tracy said...

I have always thought the same thing as you about children getting way to much. It is a problem. A problem where it sets up for a society of spoiled children who then become spoiled adults. How can you enjoy anything if you have everything! It makes for a very me centered society. People would look at my husband and I like we were totally denying our children things when we set a gift amount for our children. We wanted them to really appreciate things, and life in general. To be grateful for what they have not "expect" everything. We still do this. Stuff is not a requirement for a happy life! Values, morals, compassion, and love is..... Life is not about stuff. We can not take it with us anyhow when we die. Life should be more.

LOL okay this is a passionate topic for me as you can see. Sorry I went on and on.

imo said...

Please, mysti, never apologize here for going on and on because we want our visitors to tell us and other readers how they feel! that's the whole purpose here to get communication going back and forth on a variety of topics even ones that may seem mundane and boring. some of our most commented on blogs and articles are ones we thought would draw no interest at all. p.s glad to hear you and your husband agree!!!

peace and blessings

john and keepers

imo said...

mysti!!!

i cut myself off in my previous reply to you, meant to write "glad you and your husband agree with how we feel" not that we're not glad you and your husband agree...well, you get what i'm saying!!!

john

Mariaehart said...

Hello John My Dear Friend:)

This is one very passionate topic of mine as I believe rightly or wrongly that material things should not be expected and if as children we give give all the time instead of teaching our children to appreciate any gift given to then no matter the value is imo is a far more important value in life and they grow u[p to learn I believe to appreciate their gifts lovingly given to them by others. I also believe that to shower children with endless material things when they are children imo it spoils the child and they as they grow older expect such material things like it is their right it is not a good precedence to set for children what is far more important imo is the value of caring compassion love respect and courtliness as they grow up and also that life is very often a cruel place to be and they will not always get what they see as their right to expect.