Sunday, September 17, 2006

When Others Hurt

When others hurt, what can we do? So often as keepers and I read other multiples and other survivors blogs and websites it is very often right out front as to the pain and hurt they are going through. Everyone leaves their comments, most trying to be supportive but there is so little we can really do to offer help.

Knowing that can be frustrating, it can hurt on this side, wanting to help ease someones pain, someones hurt. It often happens here, as I see keepers in pain, feelings hurt, tears welling, and yet there is really nothing I can do except be supportive, as we are trying to do via Keeperskorner, to be supportive. We get emails or comments that say thank you for your support and then we read on a blog how they are going to the hospital for depression and don't know when they will be back. Yes, it hurts to know we could help for a while but in the end it was not enough.

So, then you begin to wonder, are we doing any good? Are we really helping other multiples and survivors in any way? Or are we centering on those in deeper trouble than the others who are still on that road to recovery without the sidetrip to the hospital? Are we forgetting what we can do is limited, that the only ears who will hear us or those who read our words and know we are genuine. We read where those we care for, even though we have never met them, are considering stepping in front of a train to end it all!! What can we do? Should we expect to do something to help them? Is our support all we can give and can we give it in a better form?? We do not know.

We read where others want to help multiples and survivors, just as we do, and we wonder are they ready for the self doubt, the self questioning? The not knowing if we are really helping anyone out there. There are times when we really do feel we are helping, making a small but earnest difference in someones life and then in one glance at a blog or its comments we get so waylaid that we wonder if we ever really helped at all?

Maybe it is human nature, maybe it is that old fear of not being worthy to help much less do anything else right. We all have self doubts, but I can honestly say that multiples and abuse survivors have some of the lowest self esteem I have ever seen and I understand why. I also have seen it be growing steadily in some and in one fell swoop they are knocked for a loop so to speak, and back to "why bother".

What i forget I think is that I see Keepers as "recovered" in some ways and I forget that they still have many keepers inside who are not all at the same point on their individual road to recovery even though many I interact with are far enough along to offer this website of theirs as a support center for others, the way some people react or do not react can hurt them still. Keepers are very strong, very determined to help others on this path to recovery, to become thrivers as Marj says, but they can be hurt very easily and understandably.

So when I see others hurt and I see keepers hurt, I often wonder what more can I do, should I do? Is support all I can offer? Should there be more? Can i give something to help make it all easier to bear? All of us who are friends, spouses, significant others to multiples and abuse survivors need to make every effort to be all we can for our loved ones. They need us and we need them, we want them to succeed at thriving as much as they do.

I just got my answer, I went back and asked what was wrong, what can I do? They said "leave it be, we're not mad or angry at you, just leave it be!"

peace and blessings to each of you in your journey

john michael

6 comments:

jumpinginpuddles said...

as a suporta ya cant fix ewverythin only some things the rest as keepas said ya can onli leave it be

Mariaehart said...

Hello My Dear Friend John:)

This is a difficult topic indeed my friend from my personal point of view I feel all I can do is let the person who is hurting so badly know we are there for them and they are not alone and that imo I feel is so important as I remember all to clearly when I first broke my silence of abuse no one being there to talk with and I sincerely try very much to be there to listen and talk with other survivors of abuse and to let them know I do truly care like you and KeepersKorner do every day my friends.I feel from experience it is one of the most horrible feelings to feel we are alone imo.

Lots of Love
Your Friend
~Maria~
xxx

imo said...

hi jumpinginpuddles

i feel you are right, it is just a hard thing to hear sometimes that you can do no more to help.

thank you for your honesty

john michael

imo said...

Hi Maria

You are so right, it hurts. I'm not a survivor as you and keepers are but when i cannot help past a certain point it is very frustrating. I guess that is where i have to defer to what other survivors recommend, like you and jumpingonpuddles did.

thanks for your kind words, alway a welcome thing!

peace and blessings and a big hug!

john

Tracy said...

Sometimes the best help one can give is just standing quietly by allowing the person in need to reach out to you if they want. I know that is hard. I have had to learn this myself. When I think I have done nothing at all, I have been told what! You were there for us if we fell, we knew you would catch us. That is a huge thing. Even though it seems to us it is nothing. You have a big heart, and it is hard to see others in pain, and not be able to do a dang thing about it. I understand. You are doing more then you think though my friend. Just by being close by.......

Hugs.

imo said...

thanks mysti, i appreciate your kind words, and thank you for understanding where i am coming from.

peace and hugs to you

john michael