Sunday, September 24, 2006

Break Out the Fall Menu

The air is getting cooler, even though our weathermen were predicitng a warmer than usual end of September for us, it hasn't happened! We went to Six Flags yesterday and had to avoid the water rides as it was too cold to get wet. But the cooler weather does provide the necessary change for Keepers and me to begin changing our supper menu from the summer fare to fall and winter fare.

First on my list is chili, can't wait to make some for supper and then follow it up as chili dogs another night. My chili is never the same tasting from one time to the next as I vary some of the ingredients depending on what sounds good to me. I say this because the older keepers do not eat chili very often but seven year Terrence loves chili and 4 year old Emily Ann loves chili dogs, so I do have some company on this. The basic chili I make is ground beef, onions, chili hot beans and tomato sauce, salt, pepper and chil powder and a wee bit of garlic powder. From there it may receive rotel hot peppers or salsa or green peppers. The biggest mistake I ever made was adding one TEASPOON of Scorned Woman Hot Sauce, no one could eat it without a glass of something after every bite. Way too potent to enjoy, never did that again!

For Keepers, their first choice is homemade Irish stew from their grandmother from Ireland's recipe and homemade chicken noodle soup from I don't know who! Personally I like 'em both and weather like this makes them move to the front of the menu list for us. Sometimes she serves the stew over rice with some rolls or biscuits on the side to sop up some of the gravy.

Also on our list of fall foods is spaghetti and meat sauce and lasagna. We use the same sauce for both, we start with Chef Boy ar Dee meat sauce, then add browned beef, onions, mushrooms, tomato sauce, salt, pepper, garlic, oregano and sweet basil. If making lasagna we also add grated mozzarrella and ricotta to each layer. Getting hungry just writing about such things!!

Meat loaf and mashed potatoes is a fall favorite of ours also, our meat loaf is ground beef, or round or sirloin, whatever is on sale. I add that because lots of times around here the ground, sirloin or round is cheaper than the ground beef at one of our local grocery stores, have no idea why. Anyway, to the beef we add 2 raw eggs, salt, pepper, garlic powder, one package of onion soup mix, one small onion and sprinkle in some instant mashed potatoes to hold it all togehter.

We call this one beef ala, it's a conglomeration of sirloin or tip steak cut up then added to browned green peppers and onion and canned or fresh mushrooms, do not cook all the way though. In another pan add two bottles of heinz savory beef gravy, add one bottle water add the beef, onions, green peppers mix and one can of oriental vegetables. let it all simmer while you cook some rice. serve the beef ala over the rice.

Well that's it for now, hope we made someone hungry and maybe gave them an idea for a meal coming up. If we did let us know how it turned out. We really hope it is good if you use any of them.

Peace, blessings and hearty meals to each of you

john michael

2 comments:

Tracy said...

OOHHH Another after my own heart! You gave me a wonderful tip regarding meatload. My husband can not have any flour. We love meatloaf but have been leaving out the breadcrumbs, and I could not figure out what else to add that might help hold it together. Instant Mash Potatoes! Now why did I not think of that. Wooohooo. Thank you so much. All your other food ideas were great too. I am hungry... lol I love chili even though it does not seem to like me... I make all the dishes you have said all the time in the winter months. All kinds of comfort food in my opinion.
Thanks for sharing!

imo said...

Hi Mysti

Glad the instant mashed potatoes helped!! now that i wrote that our weather here is warming up for the next 3 days so it looks i will wait until thursday to have one of them! have a great day!!

peace and blessings!

john and keepers