Tuesday, March 27, 2007

No Way Jose!!! (please, not trying to be offensive to anyone)

I admit it! I am afraid of heights, so there is no way on God's green earth you will ever see me walking out on the new glass skywalk that juts 70 feet over the rim of the Grand Canyon and offers a breathtaking view of a 4000 foot drop!!!!!!!

Would you? I know some people that would go out there and if left alone they would be walking on the top rail like one of the Flying Wallendas! I won't mention any names Josh but if you read this you knew I meant you anyway. I can do roller coaster, giant ferris wheels and to some extent cars on mountain roads, as long as I don't look out the window and see nothing but a sheer dropoff!

I'm not that thrilled with trying to get off of the roof and onto the ladder or getting close to the edge of the roof to lean over and clean out the gutter. Imagine how thrilled I was when on my first day on board the USS Juneau in our US Navy I was told we would be hanging over the side of the ship or hanging from a radar tower to chip paint with a pneumatic paint chipper, of course we had a safety belt on, which made it all the better!

I think it cost people $30 or $40 to go out on the glass sky walk, all I can say is "Why?" I know the Indians are poor and I know this is to being some money in to the tribe but if they get any from me it will just be a donation, no ticket necessary. Or maybe I can donate a ticket to my son in law Josh, he would enjoy it!

Why do I have the feeling that if Alfred Hitchcock was still alive and planning on making Vertigo now, it would have to include this sky walk in some way, shape or form, complete with the cheesy special effects of someone falling off into the canyon!

Well there is my take on this newest of engineering marvels that I have no desire to even be close to. What is your take?

peace, blessings and safety to each of you

John Michael

No comments: