Saturday, December 22, 2007

Switching Time

Switching Time

The above link is to a book titled Switching Time, written by a psychiatrist it chronicles his therapy with a woman with 17 personalities. I have not read the book, and I will not comment on the review, part of it may well be triggering so if you want to click on the link and read it do so at your own risk. My point is the end of the review which holds what I consider to be a critical point for the survival and healing of anyone with multiplicity or is an avbuse survivor without the multiplicity, and I quote:

With her loving interest, Overhill's grandmother gave her a tiny spark of certainty — no matter how deeply buried — that she was lovable and worthy of respect.

These are critical to healing, to realize they are lovable and worthy of respect. They must believe it, and for them to believe it someone has to show them they feel that way about them. In this recounting of this ladies healing, it was her grandmother who showed her that, in Keepers life I hope it was I, and for everyone else out there who is on this healing journey, I pray someone who sees that in them will let them know that. Keepers and I often tell people that, but as someone on the other end of a phone or a keyboard, can they believe us? I don't know.

If you know someone who is on this path, please let them know you believe it to be true also, that they are lovable and that they are worthy of respect. To do that you may well give the most wonderful Christmas present ever.

Peace and blessings to all

JM

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi JM. i never realized you had a blog :)
i may get this book. what an awsome summery - to let tem know they are lovable and worthy of respect. my own struggles centered around just that thing. i used to think i was a failure at just being. even as a Christian, it took some time for the Holy Spirit to break through my darkness, and show me that it wasnt a matter of failure or success, but of being worthy of love, and that He had declared me worthy. it was then up to me to believe His word over my feelings and the messages of my peers. but i know He is real, and so i chose to believe Him. thats when i began to really become alive. when i believed Him.
merry Christmas!
kïrstin♫

imo said...

Dear Kirstin

Yes I do have one as you now know and I used to post more often, maybe I can get back to it more. KK has been very busy so I have been trying to help Keepers as much as possible. Accepting that you are worthy of and deserve blessings is the key, in my mind. Thank you for coming by and I hope you come back soon!

Happy Trails

JM

Anonymous said...

The link was broken but I looked read a summary on Amazon.ca. The subtitle itself made me queasy ("a psychiatrist's harrowing journey..."). But the sumary itself made me sick. From what I gathered, the book conclues with an integration becasue the author has convinced this woman's alters that 'their demise' would somehow be more beneficial for everyone involved.

ICK. Sickens me it's 2008 and a psychiatrist would still try to force integration.

Sorry that turned into a rant. Thanks for the reccomendation, though.

imo said...

Hiya cs

please understand i was in no way recommending the book, i just saw a review in our newspaper and liked the part about what the grandmother gave them, that hint of being worthy. that was my hope, that each of us who knows or cares about a survivor will do all we can to stress how worthy they are of hope, respect and happiness and that they deserve it

happy trails

jm